Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Last Working Day on Leyte

A bus stop on the road between Kananga and Ormoc.
© 2014 Andrea Rip
My last day on the job, I worked in Ormoc and decided to stand on the back ladder on the 45 minute ride back to base. I soaked it all in, watched the distressed palm trees one last time, smiled at the beautiful sky and hills, mourned the still-broken houses and roofless schoolrooms, while feeling enormously grateful and downright blessed that I had the time and opportunity to serve in the Philippines after such a major disaster.

If not me, then who will go...
This is what many temporary (and for many, permanent) homes looks like
in the Philippines. Made from salvaged materials and not so storm proof.
© 2014 Andrea Rip

That was the phrase that passed through my head while I packed and prepared for the trip. And, it found me again on this last ride. When I leave, who will follow? Most certainly Project Leyte will find volunteers - a demographic of mostly 20-something backpackers with some younger professionals taking a break in life, freckled with other do-gooders who have time and space in life to accommodate some work. There was a 1500 - 2000 person wait list while I worked on the project. But with so much damage, I hope there are more people and more organizations who can keep the momentum for rebuilding and recovery going throughout the year.

John with his "hard yakka" shorts riding on the back
of a jeepney.
© 2014 Andrea Rip
Part of me considered that all this hard work ("hard yakka" as the Australians put it - also an Aussie clothing brand) could be wiped away with another typhoon. Part of me hopes that the work we are doing is a little bit better than what was there before - and when another disaster hits this island in the Philippines, the next relief effort can build it a little more resilient than how we left it. And, part of me prays that it never happens again - though this country is perfectly positioned for tropical storms, flooding, volcanoes, and earthquakes.

The women at the Gawad Kalinga Tambulilid neighborhood in Ormoc took
a photo with me on my last working day.
The last day of work, I went out to Ormoc and worked with the Gawad Kalinga project one last day. The familiar Filipino faces were so warm and friendly. They were sad to see me go and gave me hugs and gratitude for my work. The girls and women all posed for nice photos with me in my bright pink tank top. I worked, tried fresh coconut juice that was about the best drink I had in the Philippines from a woman who sold it for 10 pesos in a plastic bag with a straw. She thanked me with such a lump in her throat it nearly made me cry. She said she wished she had more to thank me with than words. I told her that I was only giving to her what other people had given to me throughout life and for this trip. There are really so many people behind my effort. Her story, like so many others is of heartbreaking loss, but strength from God to move forward, come together with her neighbors, and reestablish their homes. It is pure inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment

List of Personal Trip Expenses (USD)

  • Airfare DEN-CEB-DEN, $61 (+ FF miles)
  • Transportation in Philippines, $50
  • Hotel for Overnight in Hong Kong, $174
  • Work Socks (1 pair gift), $15 (extra 1-2 pair)
  • x - Granola Bars (cash gift)
  • x - Gatorade + EmergenC (cash gift)
  • x - Work Gloves (wishlist & cash gift)
  • x - Immunization for Typhoid (cash gift)
  • x - Three nights in Cebu (cash gift)
  • x - Mosquito Repellent (wishlist & cash gift)
  • x - Mandatory Travel Insurance (cash gift)
  • x - Dust Masks (wishlist gift)
  • x - Mosquito Net (wishlist gift)
  • x - Rain Boots (wishlist gift)
  • x - Bed Sheets (cash gift)
  • x - Work Boots (borrow/gift)
  • x - Secondhand Work Tshirts + Pants (gift)
  • x - Extended Philippines Visa (cash gift)
  • x - Safety Glasses (wishlist gift)
  • x - Sun Hat (wishlist gift)
  • x - Medical Kit (wishlist gift)

Contact Andrea

Name

Email *

Message *