Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Brief Reprieve

Zubuchon Roasted Pork with Iba/Kamias Shake and Flan.
© 2014 Andrea Rip
Now that I've arrived on Cebu, I have several days to adjust to the weather and catch my breath before starting work with All Hands. I am most definitely taking advantage of my own room, with a huge bed, and a warm shower - all items that I will be without for the next month.
The Jeepney mode of transportation.
© 2014 Andrea Rip
Cebu attracts a number of tourist, so there are several things that I have been out to see near my hotel. Zubuchon Restaurant was recommended to me by the Summit Circle Hotel staff, so after several outings to try and find it, I finally walked over an ordered their Zubuchon (roasted pork) with a Iba or Kamias (fruit) Shake. The smallest order of pork I could get was a ½ kilo - and so that is what I ate (minus the fatty skin that kept the moisture in)! I also had a bit of leche flan for dessert - yum!
There is a convenient shopping center in the same building as my hotel, so I have visited the grocer for a few items and bottled water several times. I walked around the neighborhood to find the Starbucks for my Philippines mug and Bo's Coffee which is my preferred destination for wifi and a quick bite and good coffee.
The traffic is busy here and street crossing is mildly treacherous, but for the most part, the streets are fairly easy to negotiate with sidwalks, or a place for pedestrians.
There is an unusual mode of transportation here called a Jeepney. They run on set routes and are quite colorful and flashy (the one in the photo is a rather dull representation of others that stand out like a sore thumb).

No comments:

Post a Comment

List of Personal Trip Expenses (USD)

  • Airfare DEN-CEB-DEN, $61 (+ FF miles)
  • Transportation in Philippines, $50
  • Hotel for Overnight in Hong Kong, $174
  • Work Socks (1 pair gift), $15 (extra 1-2 pair)
  • x - Granola Bars (cash gift)
  • x - Gatorade + EmergenC (cash gift)
  • x - Work Gloves (wishlist & cash gift)
  • x - Immunization for Typhoid (cash gift)
  • x - Three nights in Cebu (cash gift)
  • x - Mosquito Repellent (wishlist & cash gift)
  • x - Mandatory Travel Insurance (cash gift)
  • x - Dust Masks (wishlist gift)
  • x - Mosquito Net (wishlist gift)
  • x - Rain Boots (wishlist gift)
  • x - Bed Sheets (cash gift)
  • x - Work Boots (borrow/gift)
  • x - Secondhand Work Tshirts + Pants (gift)
  • x - Extended Philippines Visa (cash gift)
  • x - Safety Glasses (wishlist gift)
  • x - Sun Hat (wishlist gift)
  • x - Medical Kit (wishlist gift)

Contact Andrea

Name

Email *

Message *