Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Support Update

Secondhand work tshirts.
I am overwhelmed by the number of people who have sent me messages, asked me questions, and donated items and money to my trip to the Philippines. I feel remarkably blessed for having each supporter in my life.
I have been adjusting the numbers and updating the items that I have received (or received money for) in the information to the right of this post. There are only a few items left on my Amazon gift list. I have really loved the surprise deliveries that have been gifted to me from my list! Thank you to those who thoughtfully ordered items for me.
If you are still interested in sending money to help me out with the purchase of other items on my list, please use either paypal (message me for details) or my YouCaring site (note: this is not tax-deductible).
All Hands has provided a detailed information packet including a packing list of items that we are required to bring. Since most of my personal belongings are in boxes in Washington and somewhere in Colorado - left unpacked since my move, I am working on figuring out what I do have and what I need to search for, or purchase, so that when I arrive in Ormoc, I have what I need to get off to a great start on the Project.
So far, the most fun I had preparing for the trip was shopping for secondhand work clothes (that "will be destroyed") at Goodwill with Laura. I now have some fun and brightly colored "dispensable" tshirts for the work site!
I have also been working out my travel plans and am happy to report that I am able to cash in frequent flier miles for the air transportation to Cebu and back (saving more than $1500+). On the way to the Philippines I have two stops before I reach Ormoc including one night in Hong Kong and three additional days on Cebu. I am due to arrive at the Project Leyte base in Ormoc on 8 February. My return is an overnight(s) stopover in LA where I look forward to staying with friends.
It is my responsibility to sort out and fund my entire trip to Ormoc, so some thoughts and prayers would go a long way toward negotiating the logistics of booking the trip - and then sorting it out when I actually get there!
I also determined that I require a longer prearranged visa to stay longer than the allowed 30 days airport visa. I have finally pulled the information together for that and will be submitting my passport to the Philippines Consulate General in San Francisco to be processed this week.
Less than one month to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment

List of Personal Trip Expenses (USD)

  • Airfare DEN-CEB-DEN, $61 (+ FF miles)
  • Transportation in Philippines, $50
  • Hotel for Overnight in Hong Kong, $174
  • Work Socks (1 pair gift), $15 (extra 1-2 pair)
  • x - Granola Bars (cash gift)
  • x - Gatorade + EmergenC (cash gift)
  • x - Work Gloves (wishlist & cash gift)
  • x - Immunization for Typhoid (cash gift)
  • x - Three nights in Cebu (cash gift)
  • x - Mosquito Repellent (wishlist & cash gift)
  • x - Mandatory Travel Insurance (cash gift)
  • x - Dust Masks (wishlist gift)
  • x - Mosquito Net (wishlist gift)
  • x - Rain Boots (wishlist gift)
  • x - Bed Sheets (cash gift)
  • x - Work Boots (borrow/gift)
  • x - Secondhand Work Tshirts + Pants (gift)
  • x - Extended Philippines Visa (cash gift)
  • x - Safety Glasses (wishlist gift)
  • x - Sun Hat (wishlist gift)
  • x - Medical Kit (wishlist gift)

Contact Andrea

Name

Email *

Message *